Sunday, December 3, 2017

Leo Carrillo State Park: Road Trips from Los Angeles

The sun sets at Leo Carrillo beach.
Camping in CaliforniaLeo Carrillo State Park
 By Armando Ortiz
Camp site 59, at Leo Carrillo State Park.
Its Thanksgiving break, the weather is cooler, and during this time Angelinos tend stay indoors. So I decided to see if there were any campsites available. I logged on to the California state parks website and found site 59, which was available for the night.
            Leo Carrillo State Park is at the edge of Malibu, so it took about an hour to get to the park when coming from Los Angeles. Right before arriving I stopped by the Pavilions up the road and bought lunch and dinner. I arrived at the park, checked in and went to my spot. Lots of squirrels scattered as I got out of my car, and scanned the area. I sat on the wooden bench and ate my lunch. Then I set up my camp, and went for a walk. The sites to the left and right of me were empty though online it appeared that they’d been reserved.
Leo Carrillo tide-pools.
            The state park is filled with old California oaks, making the walk to the beach a pleasant one, which took about 10 minutes. The sun was setting, and rocks jutted out of the beach creating a large area of tide pools. A few minutes later I headed north, trudging through the sand, and sat on top of a cliff and saw the sun set.
            At night the neighbors across from my camp were loud; a lady’s laugh sounded like a scandalous parrot, and didn’t stop talking till around 11pm. People shatter doesn’t compare to the sound of cars speeding up the road that borders the park. Mullholland Highway is next to the park.

            Overall, this is a nice place to visit and camp. It seems more family oriented than other campsites, since there are tide-pools and beaches, being very kid friendly. To wrap things up, I highly recommended for families and for a nice romantic outing with that special someone. I imagine that in the summer nights are long and the park is always filled to the brim.
California oak at Leo Carrillo State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment