Saturday, December 9, 2017

Montana De Oro State Park: Road Trips from Los Angeles

Morro Bay at a distance
Camping in California: Montana De Oro State Park
By Armando Ortiz
Watching the sun go down.
I drove through the area where this campsite is located a few years ago. It was past midnight and I was coming from Nor. Cal., the sky was onyx, and the moon’s light reflected on the coastal waters, like an old Mayan carving made of obsidian. At times I could see the white of the ocean water that was crashing onto the coastal crags. The tree groves seemed to just grow wild along the side of the road. This time around I came here to camp and to do some hiking.
Montana de Oro State Park is a very beautiful park that has lots to offer to any visitor. This park is located along the coast of Los Osos, which is about ten to fifteen miles west of San Luis Obispo. Along the way to the park one can find convenient stores and grocery stores where you can stock up on goods. The park gets heavily visited by day hikers, college students and people that are into outdoor sports.
My camp at Montana De Oro
I camped on the Environmental Site 1. Finding parking lot where I had to leave my car was not difficult, but the spot where I’d set up my tent was initially tough to find, but eventually I did. Initially I was a bit unsure of the location where I’d be staying for the night. My site was a quarter of a mile away from my car, and I seemed to be unprepared for a hike. After setting camp, and relaxing I discovered that there was a trail to hike right next to my location. In addition, the coastal sand bluffs were a few minutes away walking. I’d never been or seen such a place. The sand bluffs were new to me. I’d never been to coastal dunes, which make for some majestic photos.
Wild buck at a distance
As I climbed a dune I saw a wild buck. I tried getting closer, but still keeping a fairly good distance from it and took some photos of the wild deer. After having a light snack, and seeing the sun set, I began making my way back hiking around some more and once the sky began to darken returned to camp.During the night coyote visited me, it was outside the tent, all I could see what the shadow that its body created after I turned on the lamp. The rustling eucalyptus trees had woken me up as the midnight wind blew. Nights speckled with shinny pearls and owls watched my every move. Throughout the night coastal waves said, everything would be alright.
Morning at Montana De Oro State Park
In the morning I had instant oatmeal with a packet of trail mix. The tweet of fly catcher families greeted my morning walk.  As I headed towards to my car I saw butterflies float bye. They seemed to be following the northeastern sun. They seemed to be fluttering their wings, like black eyelashes on mocha skin. They moved gently, as if following the push of the breaking wind.

While I hiked the cliffs, a Condor glided bye and followed the edge of sand cliffs. I couldn’t help to imagine an aged cuirass protecting a soldier from an old armada galleon setting foot on the coast. Climbing these sand dunes for god and glory and finding maidens sitting, watching the sun go down. The smell of wild sage and sweet blossoms mixing with the desperate sweat of danger and opportunity, for a moment a flash crossed my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment