Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Northern Sky: Free-Verse

Racetrack Playa, Death Valley, CA photo by Armando Ortiz

Northern Sky: Free-Verse

By Armando Ortiz


I was conceived in the heart of a growing city

where youth overflowed and were pushed north,


I was born under the northern sky

towards the west where Aries floats near Perseus.


I gave my first cry to the angels of that place,

while they were busy chasing stars.


I was followed by its galactic embrace,

inside planes and mountain trails.


It’s been a silent shelter,

a deep blue safety blanket. 


It’s protected my journeys,

together we traced the contours of China.


It’s kept me warm under the splendor of night 

and bathed me with the cover of midday light.


Its midwest sun passed me by

as I raced towards the western mesas.


In the endless hours through unknown places,

the suspended constellations were my anchor.


Even as I sailed deeper into the ocean of life’s experiences,

the daily burst of stars became the coast of my youth.


Where the waves of time crash with the moment,

and the sound of the turning universe births each second.


Wherever I was, there it was

a different hue of blue but always true.

Mongolian countryside, photo by Armando Ortiz



No comments:

Post a Comment